Friday, November 11, 2011

Potato Soup and Cheddar Loaf - Mmmmmm!



Fall seems to be the perfect time to eat soup; and in my mind, fresh bread to accompany it.  :0)

Potato soup is one of my favorite soups.  This recipe has been a long time favorite in our house.  Everyone loves it.

No Fuss Potato Soup

6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
5 cups water (or 32 oz chicken broth---that is what I use)
2 cups chopped onio
1/2 cup chopped celery (I omit this)
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/4 cup butter or margarine
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (omit this if you are using the chicken broth)
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can evaporated milk

In a large slow cooker combine the first nine ingredients.  Cover and cook on high for 7 hours or until the vegetables are tender (it usually only takes a couple of hours---or if you are in a hurry, do this part in a pan, then stick it in the crock pot).  Add milk and mix well.  cover and cook 30-60 min longer or until heated through (sometimes 15-20 min does it just fine).  Yields 8-10 servings (about 3 quarts).

This came from a Quick Cooking magazine from years ago.  I ripped out the page a while ago, so I can't tell you which magazine it was from.



Cheddar Loaf

3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110-115)
2 cups warm milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6-6 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add the milk, butter, eggs, sugar, salt and 6 cups flour.  Beat on medium speed for 3 min.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface;  knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 min. ( I use my kitchen aid mixer that does all the kneading, mixing by itself).  Place in a greased bowl, turning one to grease top.  cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

 Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead cheese into the dough.  Divind in half;  shape each portion into a 6-in. round loaf.  Place on greased baking sheets.  cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 min.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 min or until golden brown.

Yields 2 loaves.

It is delicious and remains so days after.


I have an emotional attachment to the cheddar loaf, as well as just a love for the taste and texture of it.  A couple of years ago, my Pastor at the time, had found out that his cancer had come back.  It was about that exact same time that my husband began to show the effects of the carbon monoxide poisoning.  They were each having a difficult time physically, but were praying for each other.  Some ladies in the church put together a schedule to provide meals and cleaning for our pastor and wife (she was also battleing cancer).  I would often make this bread along with the meals and take it to them.  They seemed to love it, and he would often ask that I make it again for the next time.  Just this past fall my pastor passed away.  But now when I make this bread I think of him, and pray for his wife.

Melissa